Monday, November 29, 2021

Thanksgiving: How to Cook it Well by Sam Sifton

I've looked at and tried dozens of turkey recipes over the years and they all seemed to turn out the same-not bad, little dry, but very edible. I saw this book at the library and thought, why not look at another turkey cookbook. First of all, this book is not just a list of recipes for Thanksgiving dishes. The author, Sam Sifton, is a former restaurant critic, and food columnist for the Sunday Times Magazine.  He used to do a helpline for those with "turkey emergencies" around Thanksgiving. He has seen and heard all the horror stories of ruined dinners. He has also cooked a turkey in every conceivable way-roasted, fried, grilled, deep fried, and smoked. His writing style is a joy to read as he recounts his experiences and imparts his turkey wisdom. (No garlic, no salads, and gravy is THE most important item to get right.) 

I tried out a few recipes the week before Thanksgiving to see if I could get them right. I tried the butternut squash recipe and decided it was fine, but everyone preferred sweet potatoes. I tried cornbread (presumably for making my own cornbread stuffing) but decided stove top was just so much easier. In the end I followed his simple roast turkey recipe too the T and the gravy recipe as well. Both turned out incredibly and surprisingly delicious, better than I've ever done in the past. To quote Sifton, "This is my testimony: You can make a better turkey than anyone has ever served you in your life." Guess what?  I did just that!  Best book I've read this year! I may have to actually buy a personal copy. 

Recommend: Yes!














*Side note--I emailed the author because I was so happy with my turkey and gravy results and he emailed me back to say thank you!  I'm a fan now!

No comments:

Post a Comment