Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

Junior Historical Fiction. Newbery Medal Award Winner 1959. 
This is the next book that I chose to read aloud to my kids that I have loved for a long time. It started out a little slow for my kids, but they quickly became invested in Kit and what would become of her in the world of New England in the late 17th century. 

I think this is a wonderful book for children to read and discuss. There are so many lessons to be learned about how to treat people. It helps us look at our own expectations of people and, hopefully, we can learn from these fictional character's mistakes and triumphs. There are a few true historical figures in the story which can lead to further learning about the early settlers in this new world of America. 

As I've read more historical fiction and non-fiction about the beginnings of our culture and religion in the United States, I have felt a profound gratitude for these people's lives and choices. They sacrificed more than I can understand and like today, they had many choices to make that were filled with nuances that cannot be seen from one quick glance. 

Recommend: Yes!


No comments:

Post a Comment