Thursday, January 28, 2021

Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith

 Teen Fantasy Fiction. This book is actually two books in one. They were originally published separately as Crown Duel and Court Duel. I started reading the first part -- Crown Duel. It was a slow read for me and I put it down and picked it back up several times before I gave it back to my friend who lent it to me. She told me to give it one more try and to get past page 37 or so and then things would start to move along faster. Because I trust my friend I agreed and she was not wrong. I ended up reading it fairly quickly after said page 37. 

The plot covers the attempted overthrow of the government by smaller kingdoms and involves a bit of magic on the way. I really became invested in the two main characters and their reactions to the events. After I finished the first part I did something I shame others for doing. I turned to the last 3 chapters in the second part - Court Duel - and read the ending!  (Which ended magnificently by the way.) I'm an impatient reader and I really wanted to know how things ended. I thought that I would leave it at that, but felt drawn to read the entire second part as well. This edition of the book also includes a small short chapter after the book ends that highlights an event in the future. I ended up adoring this book and I'm so glad I kept reading!

Recommend: Yes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment