Monday, February 28, 2022

ain’t burned all the bright by Jason Reynolds and Jason Griffin

 Poetry. Fulfills Poetry Published After 2000 category in the Pioneer Book Challenge. 

I have to confess poetry is not always my cup of tea and I wondered what I would choose to fulfill this category in the book challenge. I took two of my kids to the library the other day and we were browsing the new young adult books that were on display. My son picked up this one and was intrigued by what it said on the inside cover flap, "jason reynolds, using three longggggggg sentences, and jason griffin, using three hundred pages of pocket-size moleskine..."  This is literally what this book is, three sentences in 300 pages. I read it in about 15 minutes. Reynolds focuses on feelings that many teens have had during this pandemic and other unrest in the world today. The brevity of the text and the compelling collages on each page really brought feelings and worries to life, but also infused hope that things will get better along with glimpses of how to deal with said feelings and worries. If poetry books were like this one, I'd be all over them!

Recommend: Yes





No comments:

Post a Comment