Sunday, June 26, 2022

Messiah: The Little-Known Story of Handel's Beloved Oratorio by Tim Slover

 Non-Fiction. Fulfills "New Arrival Downstairs" category in the Pioneer Book Challenge

When I was in Provo a few months back I stopped by the Pioneer Bookstore. As part of this book challenge I'm doing, some of the categories need to be purchased at their store. Side note: if you ever have a chance to visit the Pioneer Bookstore in Provo, GO!  It's a used bookstore and has wonderful nooks and crannies to discover and sit and read. I saw this one on the New Arrival table and picked it up. The fact that it included a CD in the back of the Tabernacle Choir singing the Messiah sealed the deal for me and I bought it. 

It's a short book that covers the social environment around the time that Handel composed The Messiah. Even though I know the music well, I had not known about the situation surrounding the singers Handel chose to sing and how the public reacted. It's easy to look back on music history and assume that all these masterpieces were received with many accolades. This was an interesting look into Handel's life and how he navigated the performers he worked with and the public's reaction. 

Recommend: yes




No comments:

Post a Comment