Sunday, October 15, 2023

Better Than the Movies by Lynn Painter

 My teenage daughter loves to read teenage romance novels and gushes about them to me when she is finished. She bought this one while at a bookstore with her brother. I picked it up and read it in nearly one night as I was waiting up for her to come home from her Homecoming date. It was pretty average and I admit I did enjoy the storyline and the characters, at least they kept me awake past midnight!

Liz is a hopeless romantic being raised watching rom-coms with her mother. Sadly, her mother passes away and those romance movies are Liz's connection with her mother. She frames all her relationships in the context of her beloved movies. Liz has a best friend who tries to ground her in reality and a neighbor, Wes, who tormented her as a child and continues to do so as a teenager. Between these two Liz starts to see things as they really are and is able to deal with the continued sadness of missing her mother and finds her happy ending. 

Recommend: Yes

Young Adult fiction, realistic fiction, romance, loss of a parent



No comments:

Post a Comment