Monday, January 24, 2022

Lake of the Ozarks: My Surreal Summers in a Vanishing America, by Bill Geist

 Biography. Fulfills Biography in the Pioneer Book Challenge

As part of the reading challenge I'm participating in I had to choose a biography. I checked out a few from the library and looked at a few I haven't read that I own and just couldn't get into them. Non-fiction is not my favorite genre to read and I was feeling forced to read something I didn't want to read. I went back to the library and just browsed the biography section. 

I found this book and immediately thought this would be more interesting and compelling. Brian and I had just got back from the Lake of the Ozarks for our anniversary and I was excited to learn more about the area. This is actually an autobiography or probably more a memoir than anything else. It chronicles the author's time working at a lodge during the summers in the 1960s at the Lake. At first I was glad that I recognized the names of the towns and I liked his writing style. That being said, I really didn't love the book. Most of his adventures involves a lot of alcohol and college students doing really stupid things. Hearing about people's inebriated adventures doesn't strike my funny bone as it probably does with others. 

Recommend: not really



No comments:

Post a Comment