Saturday, August 26, 2023

Nightbooks by J.A. White

 My three boys like to go to the library and then check out books for each other to read. Mostly these books sit around my house unread until it is time to return them. I picked this one up and unexpectedly really liked it. I realized halfway through that it is a retelling of the fairy tale, Hansel and Gretel. Alex and Yasmin are two children "trapped" in an apartment with the witch, Natacha. Alex finds out that the key to survival is to read aloud to her stories--scary stories, each night. Together Alex and Yasmin discover much more about the witch and uncover the final mystery around the magical apartment they can't seem to leave. It is a bit scary as they are trapped and as they find out the demise of other children. 

I also found that Netflix made this into a movie in 2021 and it received good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. 

**I have since watched the movie and I liked it. Of course as is the case with books made into movies there are changes to the plot, with an especially big one at the end. Still, not a bad watch. 

Young adult fiction, fantasy, fairy tale, Hansel and Gretel, horror

Recommend: Yes



No comments:

Post a Comment