Tuesday, December 1, 2020

The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough

 Non-Fiction. This is the first book by David McCullough that I have read. (I actually listened to the audio version.)  I listened to a speech he gave at BYU years ago and my interest in his books peaked. I put a number of them on hold and this was the first one that became available. 

Prior to this I had zero knowledge of the most disastrous flood this country has known. Over 2000 people died on May 31, 1889 in Pennsylvania as a result of the breaking of the dam. McCullough is a master at retelling of the facts of not only that infamous day, but of the atmosphere before and after the dam broke. He quotes many eye witnesses to the flood and the descriptions are not for the faint of heart. It was hard to listen to the amount of suffering and destruction, but I'm glad I finished it. Not the happiest of books I've read, but worth the read. 

Recommend: Yes




No comments:

Post a Comment