Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Mission Call

Domincan Republic Santo Domingo West Mission.  Reports to the Dominican Republic MTC June 3rd.  Speaking Spanish.

His mission call came in the mail on Saturday.  On Friday Audrey, Lauren and her soon to be fiance (I think I can say that!) Matt drove up to surprise the kids.  Brian and Palmer and I knew they were coming.  We were in Basin watching Palmer wrestle when they came so when we came home the kids were pretty happy and surprised!  

I have to insert some wrestling comments before I continue.  Palmer wrestled the state champion at the meet in Basin.  This kid is used to always winning, usually by pinning his guy in the first seconds of the first period.  Wrestling has three 2 minute periods.  If someone isn't pinned they decide who wins on points.  Brian told Palmer to not stress about the match, but to go out there and do what he loves--wrestle.  45 seconds into the first period the guy had Palmer on his back with his shoulders inches from being pinned.  Palmer held that position for 1 minute and 15 seconds until the buzzer sounded for the end of the period.  I don't know if I can describe how much strength and shear will that took.  This guy is pushing with all his might and Palmer just won't go down 2 inches.  I'm sure that minute and 15 seconds seemed much longer to Palmer.  The second period Palmer got a few points on him, but still no one was pinned.  Palmer was fighting hard and the other guy was getting mad that he hadn't pinned him yet.  Half way into the third period Palmer's opponent finally pinned him and Palmer lost.  The other guy was so ticked off that it took him three periods to pin Palmer he walked off the mat and threw his head gear!  Palmer was very disappointed that he got pinned, but so many people mentioned how well he had done against this guy.  I was very proud of him, he never gave up!  

Saturday morning came and it was Andy's turn to wrestle, his last big meet in Riverton with 20 other schools.  Brian, Palmer, Lauren, and Matt drove an hour and a half to watch him.  They were planning on going shooting in between Andy's matches, but found out that since Riverton is on an Indian reservation it's against the law to fire any guns.  So they watched Andy and went to Walmart.  

Meanwhile, back in Worland I had been hoping and praying for a few days that Palmer's mission call would come while the girls were here.  I knew it was a long shot, mail takes forever to get up here from Salt Lake and his call was just assigned on Wednesday.  I sent Lucy out to get the mail and in she walks with a large white envelope!  I started jumping around and screaming!  I called Palmer and told him and he was freaking out.  Then we had to WAIT.  Brian and the guys came home before Andy was finished because Palmer and the high school jazz band was playing at our stake's valentine dinner.  

Andy ended up placing 2nd out of all 20 schools, but didn't make it home until 9:15pm!  That was a hard wait.  Palmer invited two friends over and the bishop and his wife and he finally opened it!  I think  he was really surprised!  When I thought about the possible places he could go, that part of the world didn't even occur to me.  He is really excited and now we get to start all the preparations!

Audrey, Lauren, and Matt go home tomorrow.  It's been really fun to have them here.  I love them so much and I love to see them growing up and making good choices.  

On top of all these wonderful happenings, we found out today during church that our two wards here in Worland are going to be split into three wards in two weeks.  Wow, that is going to be something!  It's wonderful to see the church grow up here and to be a part of it.  

Long post today, thanks for letting me share our lives with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment