Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Sister Edholm - Week 1

Hello Everyone!

I absolutely love it here at the MTC! The food portions here are so so so big and I am never hungry. 

When we first got here, we didn't do much, my suitcase was lost for a little bit because they had put it in the wrong room, but I eventually found it. I took a nap for an hour or so and then we had devotional with the area 70 for our area and his wife. Their names are Elder and Sister Ternicliff, Sister Ternicliff talked about how we should be the missionaries that our mothers think we are. Elder Ternicliff talked about the metaphor of walking and that as missionaries we need to walk confident and collected. 

Our first official day at the MTC we met our teacher. My companion is Sister Bair and she is from Seattle, but her family moved to Oregon while she was at college, she went to BYUI. My district is the Abinadi district and we have 6 sisters and 2 elders. Sister Taylor (Bournemouth, England), Sister Perkins (Mountain Green, Utah), Sister Kearns (Denver, Colorado), Sister  Freeman (Port Talbot in South Wales), Sister Bair (Umatilla, Oregon), Elder Skelton (Lake Havasue, Arizona), Elder Rowlan (Morgan, Utah). Brother Wilford is my teacher and he is probably my favorite teacher ever. He is from South Africa, but his family lives in Scotland now in a town called Alloa. He is the lead teacher and so he usually doesn't teach a normal class, he usually only teaches the group ones where all the districts get together, but since a lot of the teachers are gone because it is close to Christmas he teaches us. Our other teacher is Sister Harkness, but she was sick last week, so we had a sub and his name is Brother Robertson. He is also a great teacher, he really know how to invite the spirit, he talks really quiet, but everything he says is really profound. 

We finished teaching our first investigators yesterday, we taught them 4 times, Sister Bair and I and the Elders in our district only go to teach ours for 3 and then we had a different one for our last lesson. Our teachers were our "investigators," but that doesn't mean it wasn't a real conversion story, it seems like they all have split personalities. I had Brother Robertson as my "investigator" he was playing a guy named Eron. We taught him and then the last time, we weren't going to ask him to be baptized because we didn't think he was going to be ready, because he hadn't kept our last commitment, but while I was reading the Plan of Salvation pamphlet I wasn't even reading about baptism at all, but I heard this voice in my head say "Ask him to be baptized." I immediately looked up and told my companion that we needed to ask him to be baptized. When we went into our lesson, he was so happy, he said he had done the commitments we had set, so we asked him to be baptized and he said yes!! I know it was only a practice, but it felt so real. I was really surprised at the love I felt for him, even just the first lesson! I didn't really feel like a missionary yet until I taught that first lesson, I felt like we were only at a camp, but after that lesson, I was so excited to get into the field and actually do it to a real investigator!!

Yesterday we got to go out to Manchester and proselyte in Piccadily Square, we didn't get any referrals, but other companionships did get some, but that's okay, we still had a really great experience and I just loved talking to all the different people. We were talking to this one lady and a guy walked up and was smoking weed and was yelling at us and getting in our faces and saying that we were Jehovah Witnesses, but we kept saying no and that we were LDS missionaries, but we didn't want to fight with him because he was clearly not in the right mind, and then he grabbed my arm and said "come with me," but I just said "no, I can't I have to stay with her" and I pointed to my companion. Obviously we were being watched out for because the missionaries from that area came and we started talking to them instead and that guy ended up leaving. I reeked like weed the rest of the day.

Today we are also going to the temple and one of the sisters is going through for the first time, because she lives in Zimbabwe and the closest temple is 14 hours away from her house, I am so excited for her!!

p.s. I'm sorry if this was mumbled I was in a hurry.
 
Love you guys!!
Sister Edholm

No comments:

Post a Comment