Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Insignificant and Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus


Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus by Dusti Bowling.  Junior Realistic Fiction.

Image result for Insignificant Events in the Life of a CactusI listened to the Audio version at the request of my children on the way home from Utah which made the 6 and a half hours much more enjoyable. I have to admit I wanted to hear more descriptions of the Arizona heat as I was entering winterful Wyoming.

Aven is an 8th grade girl living in Kansas when her father gets a new job in Arizona, just outside of Scottsdale. The move is rough on this middle schooler, but more so than normal because she was born without arms. Her friends in Kansas that she grew up with accepted her without prejudice, but this new group of kids in a larger school have some adjusting to do as they watch her accomplish everyday tasks with her feet just as well as they do with their hands. She makes some good friends and comes to terms with some some questions she has had about her life.

Aven is relatable and funny and full of courage and determination. I found myself thinking of how I view others and how instant judgments can be made on looks alone. I feel like this is a must read for everyone, but especially those in the midst of middle school where it's so easy to judge other kids by how they look and act. 

Recommend? Yes Yes Yes


Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus by Dusti Bowling. Junior Realistic Fiction.

Image result for Momentous Events in the Life of a CactusWe started to listen to the sequel before we reached our home after loving the first book. I finished listening to it the very next day. This one starts as Aven is entering high school as a 9th grader. She deals with extreme bullying and many more issues than just how people view her. It isn't as lighthearted as the first one, but I feel like it can hatch important conversations with teens and adults. Her problems aren't solved easily and some aren't solved at all, which I feel is an important aspect of this book. I especially liked to see Aven realize that when she was less self absorbed her problems seemed easier. 

Recommend? Yes Yes Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment